These authentic meals and excursions are specially curated so travellers not only enjoy a beautifully prepared dish, but also learn the culture and history behind it, and enjoy wonderful companionship the whole way through.
10 Ways Insight Vacations is a Trendsetter in Culinary Travel JANUARY 2018
What dining trends can we expect next year? With farm-to-table meals, dine-at-home experiences and meal-sharing, we’ve been ahead of the curve for years!
Travellers looking to indulge in tasty trends can join one of Insight’s many premium journeys to Europe, where local flavors, meal sharing and simplicity have long been part of each itinerary. For years Insight has been ahead of the curve when it comes to epicurean experiences; in fact, Insight was recently awarded “Best Travel Company for Foodies” in the TravelAge West WAVE Awards.
Insight’s immersive dining experiences let guests discover countries and cultures through their taste buds:
- farmers and fishermen show guests how food is harvested then serve it up in Farm-to-Table meals;
- chefs demonstrate how a few simple ingredients can be turned into delicious masterpieces during hands-on cooking classes;
- and locals invite guests into their homes for home-cooked meals during Dine-at-Home evenings.
In 2018 guests will also be able to share meals with local hosts and other travellers thanks to Insight’s new partnership with VizEat, the global meal-sharing platform.
“Insight Vacations’ delicious dining experiences are a true highlight of our journeys,” said Phil Cappelli, president of Insight Vacations. “These authentic meals and excursions are specially curated so travellers not only enjoy a beautifully prepared dish, but also learn the culture and history behind it, and enjoy wonderful companionship the whole way through.”
Here are 10 of Insight’s many exceptional foodie offerings:
- Oyster Tasting in Croatia: During the ‘Country Roads of Croatia’ journey, travellers accompany Tomislav to his floating barges and watch him harvest oysters straight from the sea. They then sample the freshly shucked mollusks with a squeeze of lemon and a glass of crisp local wine.
- Innovative and Locally Sourced Dishes at Ireland’s Iconic Ashford Castle: On the ‘Irish Elegance’ itinerary, travellers dine at the magnificent 800-year-old Ashford Castle where creative cooking and local ingredients reign supreme. An après-dinner walk around the stunning grounds provides the perfect end to the meal.
- “Dine-at-Home” Dinner in Sarajevo: On the ‘Eastern Capitals and the Dalmatian Riviera’ journey, guests are invited into a Sarajevan family’s home for a Dine-at-Home dinner. They’ll savor authentic Bosnian cuisine and hear inspirational stories about the beautiful city’s resilient people, rich culture, and wonderful traditions.
- Pasta Making with Chef Lorenzo in Orvieto, Italy: At a restaurant in the medieval heart of Orvieto, guests on the ‘European Dream’ journey learn how to make fresh pasta by hand during a live cooking demonstration by Chef Lorenzo Polegri. His passion for Italian cuisine comes through as guests savor the delicious flavors he creates.
- Introduction to Greek Cooking in Olympia: While on the ‘Treasures of Greece and the Islands’ itinerary, guests join a local chef for an entertaining cooking demonstration, then savor regional Greek specialties in a fun-filled, flavorful dinner .
- The Art of Strudel-Making in Budapest: On the ‘Easy Pace Budapest, Vienna and Prague’ journey guests visit a traditional strudel house and see pastry chefs at work stretching the dough and readying the fillings, then enjoy a delectable taste of this famous delicacy paired with rich, aromatic coffee.
- Traditional Basque Pintxos in San Sebastián, Spain: On the ‘Mediterranean Journey’ guests wander through San Sebastián’s Old Town, the hub of the town’s social life, then enjoy some of the best pintxos in the region. This Basque gastronomic staple is similar to tapas and pairs well with the local Txakoli wine.
- Cornish Coast Experience in Britain: Guests visit a Cornish fishing village during the ‘Best of Britain’ journey and enjoy a Farm-to-Table Celebration Dinner at the edge of Dartmoor National Park that includes fresh, locally sourced seafood.
- Paella Demonstration in Valencia, Spain: Valencia is home to one of the world's greatest dishes, paella. While on the ‘Highlights of Spain’ journey, guests meet the chef at a local family-run restaurant in the heart of the Old City and learn the traditional recipe for paella during a cooking demonstration. Next they savor the delicious flavors of this classic dish with a glass of sangria during a Highlight Dinner.
- Dine-At-Home in Portugal: On the ‘Country Roads of Portugal’ trip guests journey through rolling, vine-laden hills to Quinta de Marrocos, home of the Sequeira family. There they learn about the family’s passion for wine making, and join them for a farm-to-table dinner of food freshly prepared from locally sourced ingredients and served with wine from the estate.
By Insight Vacations